Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking
Makes 12 cupcakes
Unsalted butter, room temperature
Granulated white sugar
All purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
6. Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 17 - 20 minutes or just until set and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. (Do not over bake or the cupcakes will be dry.)
7. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing.
I did not follow the vanilla buttercream frosting recipe and the result? Disaster. I did not have the recipe with me that time and had no access to any buttercream recipe (missing recipe books!), I can only based it on my poor poor memory. As if that wasn't bad enough, I somehow had my icing sugar mixed with coarse sugar!!! So I ended up with crunchy vanilla buttercream. ; _ ;
The cupcakes are great though. Moist, light, and fluffy; even on the next day after being refrigerated.
Currently looking for buttercream recipe (any flavor) and those that withstand humid/hot weather. Recommendation please? =D