Purple Sweet Potato Chiffon Cake
Recipe adapted from Kevin Chai’s “Chiffon Cake is Done” (Sweet Potato Chiffon Cake)
Note: Recipe below had been heavily modified. Not the original recipe.
Cooked sweet potato (mashed)
Cream of tartar
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolk with sugar until pale and fluffy. Add salt, mashed sweet potato, oil, milk, and water, mix well.
- Add in sifted flour and baking powder. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- In another clean bowl, beat the egg whites till frothy. Add in cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks.
- Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolks mixture. When combined, fold in 1/2 of the remaining egg whites. Repeat with the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the batter into chiffon tube pan. Tap the pan lightly to get rid of bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170 degree C for 45-50 minutes or test with skewer.
- Invert the cake and let it cool completely in pan. When cool, run a thin knife along the edges and unmold the cake.
1. Could not remember the recipe exactly as I do not have the recipe book with me now but if I am not mistaken, it calls for 100 ml of coconut milk (which I substitute with milk and water), 40 ml of oil, and 110 g of mashed sweet potatoes.
2. I cut some of steamed sweet potatoes into smaller chunks and mix it in when folding the egg whites.
3. The batter before folding in the egg whites is very thick (as seen in picture above).
4. For my sugar-free version I used 1 tbsp of Splenda for the egg yolk batter and 3 tbsp for the egg whites.
|Soft, fluffy, and flavorful! Family loved it! And somehow it taste sweeter on the next day. @_@|