Monday, January 3, 2011

Low Fat Sugar Free Cotton Cheesecake

(What a mouthful title)
Sis requested a cotton cheesecake and she wants it low fat and sugar free.

Recipe adapted and modified from Diana’s Desserts.
(Halved the recipe)

Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake (Low Fat and Sugar Free Version)
Makes 1 16-cm and 1 8-cm cake

Ingredients:
130 g
Cream cheese, 1/3 less fat
20 g
Butter
50 ml
Milk, low fat
30 g
Cake flour
10 g
Corn flour
3
Egg yolks
1 tsp
Lemon juice
A pinch of salt


3
Egg whites
1/8 tsp
Cream of tartar
4 tbsp
Splenda

Method:
  1. Line the pans. Wrap the removable bottom pans with aluminum foil. (I wrapped 2 layers of foil)
  2. Melt cream cheese, butter, and milk over a double boiler. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  3. Sift and measure the flour. Mix the sifted flour into the cream cheese mixture until well incorporated.
  4. Add the egg yolks, lemon juice, and a pinch a salt. Mix well. Set aside.
  5. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy. Add in cream of tartar and continue whisking. Add the sugar slowly and continue whisking until soft peaks form.
  6. Gently fold in 1/2 of the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture. When combined, fold in the remaining egg whites.
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
  8. Bake in a water bath at 160 degree C for 1 hour or until set.
  9. Remove the cake from the mold immediately and let it cool.
Reusable foil! <.<

The mini one. A slice the size of tablespoon.Nom nom.
The 16-cm one, after chilling in fridge overnight.
 

























Notes:
  1. Halfway through baking, the top got really brown so I had to tent the cake with a foil. I read some blogs on how we are not suppose to open the oven’s door but it can’t be help in this case D=. I even had to turn the cake for even baking. >.<
  2. I removed the smaller one from the oven earlier (it baked for around 40 minutes).
  3. The taste: cheesy (of course it is not as rich as full fat cream cheese, but good none the less), soft, fluffy, and light.
  4. If chilled in fridge, the texture is denser but it is still soft and spongy. After a day, the cheese flavor is more pronounce.

Sis loved it, but she only had one slice – her will to resist temptations never fails to amaze me. Mum and I…no such will (don’t think we have one), we polished off the rest of it with cups of coffee (caffeine-addicts). Luckily I made smaller portion. -.-;;

30 huggies:

j3ss kitch3n said...

hehe!! i love this too!! super soft and melt in your mouth texture!! yum yum!! jet you will be participating in the aspiring bakers #3 right?

Your #1 Fan said...

Jess, I am determined to participate this round's aspiring bakers!!! (I think I said that for the previous ones too >.<)
Hopefully my CNY cookies will be "presentable" enough. D=

j3ss kitch3n said...

ohhh u better!!!!! u missed the last one!!

Unknown said...

Your cake stand really tall! Yummy too. Is it alright to bake in 9" round mould?

Your #1 Fan said...

Vivian, for this halved recipe, I think a 7” pan would be good (for tall cake) or an 8” pan (I tried before and the cheesecake looks just as good, just shorter).
The original recipe, which is double the ingredients, makes one 8” x 3” cake. For that, 9” pan fits too.
Do tell me how it worked out for you =D

My Little Space said...

Jet, this cake turned out successfully & really beautiful texture. Btw, what is that 'Splenda'? Is it something like PAL artificial sugar?
Thanks so much for sharing.
Cheers, Kristy

Your #1 Fan said...

Kristy,
Yeap, Splenda is like PAL. (Artificial sugar, the horrors for real bakers D=) It is sucrose based and it's labelled "zero calories" but it actually have 3.3 calories in 1g (if I am not mistaken).
And thank you for dropping by. =D

Anonymous said...

Very successful thanks;)

Anonymous said...

Hi I wanted to try your recipe it looks so good :) but I was wondering if splenda packets would work instead of the splenda baking sugar? Is cornflour the same as corn starch? I was also wondering if you could convert the gram measurements into millimetres?

lthoma said...

how many calories and carbs is the so it can be put in a weight loss journal

Sonia said...

I make twice the can and nothing I don’t know if the recipe is right the amount of the flour is to small like 1/4 cup �� the sugar is okay I don’t care. Some can share If they make the cake can came like the pic please thank you

Unknown said...

Is cornstarch the same thing as corn flour? Also are there only 4tablespoons
Of Sugar in the entire cake?

lKP78069 said...

Could this be made with NON-gluten flour?

Anonymous said...

Go for it!

Anonymous said...

Which pan has double foil? Is the other lined with parchment? Should both be lined with parchment? Info seems to be missing.

Anonymous said...

What is a water bath?

Anonymous said...

set your pan in a pan w water and bake

Anonymous said...

I’m intolerant to eggs! What now?😞

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry...I do not understand "g and ml". Can you please put that in oz, or cups or whatever the measurements are?? I would love to make this.

Anonymous said...

How can I convert it into cups

Anonymous said...

Just Google the measurements: look up corn starch & corn flour (2 diff things)

Anonymous said...

Same question.

Anonymous said...

Anyone know the conversion to US? It’s so confusing.

Anonymous said...

Cornflour and cornstarch are two different things in the US. However, if the originator of this recipe is in the UK, they refer to cornstarch as "cornflour. "

Anonymous said...

How much is 1gr in teaspoons?

Anonymous said...

What is corn flour and what can be used if it is not available?

Anonymous said...

Can I use full cream

Anonymous said...

I didn’t know what cornflour was. I just read on line that cornflour in the UK is cornmeal in the US NOT cornstarch.

Anonymous said...

If those of you in the US are confused about the measurements, you can go online for conversion tables. It’s fairly simple.

Anonymous said...

Just Google EU to US measurements