Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Choux Pastry and the Ugly Cheesecake


Recipe from Do What I Like

Ingredients
(makes 8 puffs) (I made 14 small puffs)
85ml water
50g butter (I used only about 40g of butter because that is all I got left)
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
50g bread flour
20g cake flour
2 eggs (lightly beaten)

Method:

1.       Cook water, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan till bubbling hot. Turn the heat to low.
2.      Add in the flour mixture in one go and mix with a wooden spoon till a dough is formed.
3.      Still on low heat, cook the dough for 1 - 2 minutes till a thin white film is formed at the bottom of the saucepan.
4.      Transfer dough to a mixing bowl and beat till it is lukewarm.
5.      Add in egg by thirds and mix till well blended and smooth.
6.      Place batter into piping bag and pipe it onto a lined pan in rounds of about 5cm in diameter. Spray some water on it.
7.      Bake at 200C for 25 minutes then 180C for 8 - 10 minutes or till dry and golden brown in color. Turn off the oven and let it cool in the oven for 30 minutes.


I wanted to make the choux pastry “crispier”, so I left it to bake for a longer period of time. But I think they were over-baked because I forgot about them – left them to bake longer than I intended to.
My family prefers the softer texture choux pastry because they felt that this “crispier” (almost burnt) choux pastry is dry and too hollow inside. Does that even make sense? I am not too sure myself because I’ve never been a fan of cream puffs and did not eat much of them. Thus, I am not even sure if that is how it is suppose to come out or taste like.





I also baked a ‘Feather Light Cheesecake’ for my friend. I got the recipe from Jessie Hearty Bakes (original recipe from Alex Goh). Unfortunately, mine did not turn out as pretty as hers.
My oven’s temperature must have been too high – look at the hideous surface. D=


I decided not to give my friend because it looks so ugly but she showed up with a big container and insist on having it. She said that the cake is spongy, soft and …well, light. She would love it better if the cheese flavor is a little bit stronger but overall, she likes the cake.
I will have to try to make the cake again and taste it!

0 huggies: