(I halved the recipe and made slight changes)
Pure vanilla extract
¼ (about 14 g)
Cashew nuts, grounded
Cashew nuts, halved
- Cream butter and sugar till pale and creamy.
- Add in pure vanilla extract. Add in egg slowly. Beat until well-mixed.
- Fold in grounded cashew nuts. Fold in sifted flours and baking powder gradually. Knead to form dough.
- Roll the dough into 3/4 cm thickness. Cut the dough into crescent shapes (or any shape you like) and place them on the baking tray. Brush a layer of egg white on the cookies and top each cookie with one halved cashew nut. (Brushing egg white helps the cashew nut to stick to the cookie well.) Brush a layer of egg yolk on top of the cashew nuts for a nice golden brown color.
- Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes till light golden brown.
- I baked the cashew nuts before I “grind” it (I just pound it with a rolling pin – too lazy to take out and clean the blender afterwards).
- My Mum said the cookies are sweet (but my aunts said they are just right) – will reduce sugar the next time I bake this to suit my family's taste.
This is a great recipe; I can see why it is Small Small Baker’s favorite. Definitely a keeper.